Saturday, November 30, 2013

Too cool for a Sith

I loved Elsa's design the minute I saw her in trailers and I knew she had to be Sith, but I didn't want to make a repeat Sith Snow White(post 4.1.13). Snow White's design was soft, bell-shaped, and symmetrical so I wanted to go the opposite direction by making Elsa's design sharp, lean, and definitely asymmetrical. I think of her as a jagged piece of ice, or a sharp icicle and so I played up the blues a lot as well instead of the purples and magentas. Part of what inspired her asymmetrical design was the villan Venger from the old 80's Dungeon's & Dragons cartoon (If you born after the 80's, Google it). His asymmetrical design on the show was awesome especially with the giant horn sticking out the side of his head. Also, I found that the Sith symbol looks closely to a snowflake, so for all the SW geeks out there who look at the lightning you'll see it. Well, I guess by default ... I'll have to make Anna too:-)

15 comments:

  1. Ralph, this is so badass. ;) Miss you, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Missy! Congrats on being a new mom, must be exciting! Tell ol' Chuck I say hey :-)

      Delete
  2. This is fantastic! Elsa is my new favorite disney character and as a SW nerd, this made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't forget to include Tiana!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can we purchase these? The series is amazing. Anna as a Hoth Rebel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missed your earlier response about purchasing. Oops!
      Another suggestion -- Belle as Jedi Council member-in Lotus pose; Jedi codex books hovering all around. She was the smartest Princess

      Delete
  5. What program do you use to paint your work after you scan the pencil drawing into the computer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After scanning in the cleaned up line art I use Flash to color my work then render lighting and effects in Photoshop afterwards.

      Delete
  6. Have you started the Anna one yet can't wait to see what you do with her and the other princesses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I was thinking about Princess Anna being a member of Emperor Tenebrae's Imperial Guard, trained by none other than Commandant Iven.

      Delete
  7. I just came across your art and wanted to let you know that I love it. I hope to see more soon. Never stop drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say it is a great drawing and I appreciate you for what you do. Even I have a big list of disney princesses that I want you to draw in your own style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look amazing. I love how powerful they lo but still maintain the innocence of Disney. Are you planning on doing more?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well-written articles can serve as authoritative sources of information, offering readers in-depth analysis and expert opinions on subjects ranging from technology and science to lifestyle and culture. VPN for disney plus

    ReplyDelete